Go Back   Disease Treatment Forum > Disease Treatment Forums > Infectious Disease Forum
Mark Forums Read

Infectious Disease Forum Support and Discussion about Symptoms, Transmission, Treatment and What to Expect for Infectious Diseases

Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Afraid of Bugs

Default Cyclosporiasis in drinking water and food.

Has anyone heard of this? There is a parasite called Cyclospora somewhere in our food or drinking water in the USA. They are saying it is an outbreak. What are the chances I will be infected? Can I take antibiotics to kill the parasite? Will I get worms from this?
Please Help.
Totally freaked out right now.
- Jenny
Afraid of Bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
autoimmunitygirl

What? I thought water in the United States was clean. I drink directly from the tap!
autoimmunitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Carolyn

The Centers for Disease Control has confirmed an outbreak of Cyclospora infections. There have been more than 250 cases so far with 10 people needing to be hospitalized.

They have not yet identified the source of the infection.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoimmunitygirl View Post
What? I thought water in the United States was clean. I drink directly from the tap!
The CDC has not identified the source of the infection but when they have had outbreaks of Cyclosporiasis in the past it was due to eating contaminated fresh produce.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Afraid of Bugs

How do I know if I have the parasite?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Carolyn

Some people have no symptoms of Cyclospora infection.

Typically there is about 1 week between the time you are infected and the onset of symptoms. Untreated Cyclosporiasis usually lasts 10 weeks to 3 months. Cyclosporiasis can relapse after symptoms seem to disappear.

Cyclospora symptoms include:
Abdominal Pain
Fever (low grade)
Muscle Pain
Low energy levels / Fatigue
Watery Diarrhea
Nausea and Vomiting

Diarrhea can be severe especially in people with underlying illness. Hospitalization with IV fluids may be required.

Treatment includes a combination of antibiotics, trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
KimmyG

So far, 275 Cyclosporiasis cases have been confirmed in: Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Nebraska, New Jersey, Texas and Wisconsin.
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/cyclosp...tion-2013.html
KimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
KimmyG

Cyclosporiasis is caused by infection with Cyclospora cayetanensis parasite.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Afraid of Bugs

Can I get cyclospora from other people that have been infected with it?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraid of Bugs View Post
Can I get cyclospora from other people that have been infected with it?
Yes you can. But, it is not likely to get infected by direct contact with an infected person because non-infective Cyclospora "eggs" are shed from the feces of infected people. It takes about 1 week for the Cyclospora "eggs" to hatch and become infectious. So, if an infected person contaminates a food preparation surface or food with Cyclospora eggs and time is allowed to pass for the eggs to hatch, someone could accidentally eat some of the contaminated food or contaminate food by using contaminated food preparation surfaces. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/cyclosp...d_handlers.pdf
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Huskerophile

How many cases of cyclosporasis are in Nebraska?
Huskerophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
KimmyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerophile View Post
How many cases of cyclosporasis are in Nebraska?
There are 68 infections in Nebraska. Nebraska Cyclospora Outbreak
but the most people infected are in Iowa with 134 cases. Most live in Linn, Polk or Dubuque county.Iowa Cyclospora Outbreak 07/24/2013
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Trophozoite

Treatment of Cyclospora cayetanensis (Cyclosporiasis):
Quote:
Cotrimoxazole (TMP-SMX; 160 mg trimethoprim plus 800 mg sulfamethoxazole, twice a day for 7 days), pyrimethamine (5075 mg daily) and leucovorin (510 mg daily), or ciprofloxacin (500 mg twice a day); for non-AIDS patients receiving TMP-SMX, use 1 double-strength tablet orally twice daily for 710 days; for AIDS patients receiving TMP-SMX, use 1 double-strength tablet orally four times daily for 10 days, followed by twice a day for 3 weeks.
Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...pdf/zcm420.pdf
Trophozoite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
Trophozoite

Usual lab tests for ova and parasites do not test for Cyclospora so if a person is having symptoms and the standard O&P tests are given the disease might not be diagnosed. Laboratory tests must specifically order a test for Cyclospora if it is suspected in a patient.

An infected patient may have a negative lab result for Cyclospora one day but have a positive test a few days later. Retesting for suspected Cyclospora infection may be necessary for diagnosis.
Trophozoite is offline   Reply With Quote